Tuesday, September 11, 2012

First week

The first week of Honors Chemistry has completely changed the way I think.  In the past I have been so focused on the answer of problems, and not the process in getting there.  I've been more thorough in my thinking and have learned to not worry as much about the final answer.  Learning to use social networking such as Twitter for educational reasons has also been something that will be valuable to me in the future and for other classes as well.  Using my iPad and iPhone in class is also something that is new to me.  With the many great apps that Apple has to offer, I'll be able to increase my knowledge about what it is that my devices will let me do.  My teacher's methods to teaching is almost like an updated version of what the other teachers do.  His way of doing things is convenient for all and is much more simple than anything I've been doing in the past.  It also allows for much greater and easier communication between us as students and the teacher.  By using Apple TV, we are able to display what is on our Apple device on the big screen, which is another convenience for us and our teacher.

Last week we participated in an activity in which there was a cube-shaped box with the numbers 1-5 on the sides.  One side of the box, the bottom, we couldn't see.  Divided into groups, we had to think about what could be on the bottom side.  Each group had their own idea of what could be on the bottom of the box, and had their own reasons for why.  In the end, there ended up being no bottom to the box, but that's not what the activity was about.  Not about the final answer, but more about the process and reasons for why and how we got to our answer.  An activity such as this has shown the importance of getting to an answer, but not so much about what the answer is.


No comments:

Post a Comment